Sunday, July 20, 2014

Canto Bites: Ceoi1 Seoi2

I've decided to start a new category I'm calling Canto Bites.  They will basically be short posts about a word or phrase of the week that I find funny or interesting.

This week, at my language exchange, I learned a very nice phrase: ceoi1 seoi2.  It can be literally translated as "blow water," but it's a slang phrase that means "chat."  Very descriptive, since if you're excitedly talking, you might just blow some water!

I was doubly excited to learn that word because it made another connection for me.  Awhile back I learned the chorus to a very nice Soler song,  風的季節.  I'm not entirely sure about the English name since I've seen both "Wind" and "Monsoon" as the title.  I'll go with "Monsoon" as it sounds more interesting.


Anyway, in my ignorance, I didn't know that it was actually a cover of a really old song by a singer named Paula Tsui!  When I mentioned it to a friend, she said that it's from her mom's generation.  Old or not, I like it, although I do admit that I prefer the Soler version.  Listen and judge for yourself.


All that to say, the chorus of the song says "Blow, wind, blow" or something to that effect.  I don't know what all those extra words are, but since it's a song, I'm assuming they're written words.  Or I just haven't learned them yet.

Well this is already longer than what I planned for a Canto Bite, so I'll scuttle away now.  I have the feeling I'll be singing this song all night...


3 comments:

  1. This is an interesting blog on a Cantonese song, popular in Hong Kong about 20 years ago (I think). I like the song sung by Paula Tsui better. The rendition by Soler is, albeit, more contemporary with heavier beat, etc., but their diction is nowhere as clear as that of Paula Tsui. After listening to the lyrics of Paula Tsui, I have translated the chorus for you (could not guarantee 100% accuracy, even though I was born and raised in Hong Kong):

    Blow, Blow, Let the Wind Blow,
    Wiping Dry from the Eyes Sparkling Tears.
    Blow, Blow, Let the Wind Blow,
    Carrying Sadness Away Entirely, and
    Don't Care Who Is in the Wind.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The chorus may be better translated into:
    Blow, Blow, Let the Wind Blow,
    Wiping Dry from the Eyes Sparkling Tears.
    Blow, Blow, Let the Wind Blow,
    Carrying Sadness Away Entirely,
    Not Caring Who Is in the Wind.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those are really beautiful lyrics, David. Thanks for the translation!

    ReplyDelete

I like comments just as much as fresh guacamole and chips! Well, maybe not quite that much...