Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Music Monday: Best Break-up Songs

I've been pretty lazy today. As I type, it's almost midnight. I haven't washed the dishes, I haven't worked on Spanish, I didn't get any Chinese history read, and I didn't even watch a movie. Sigh. BUT I did open a Pinterest account (http://pinterest.com/) and begin pinning all sorts of beautiful pictures onto my boards. It basically gives you a place to put all of the beautiful pictures you've ever found on the internet. It automatically cites the source, so you don't have to worry about any plagiarism issues. It's fun. And slightly addictive.

But back to my main point, music. As I tentatively promised, it's all break-up songs today. I find break-up songs very interesting because people tend to deal with them in such different way. In "I Will Survive" the singer is focused on the strength she has found after being dumped whereas in "(I Hate) Everything About You" the singer is struggling between revulsion and longing.

I Will Survive, the Cake version. What do you think? This one or the Gloria Gaynor one?

(I Hate) Everything About You by Three Days Grace. This is a nice, sad, biting song that was played to death on the radio. On a side note, I've always been perplexed by the band's name. I'd almost think they were a Christian band or something. Definitely not.

Now on to the rest of my selections.

Don't Speak by No Doubt. This is a very plaintive song which, interestingly enough, seems to be about both a relationship break-up as well as tensions in the band. The video is a little strange at parts (um, rotten fruit?) but it tells an interesting story.

So What by Pink. I first heard this song riding in a friend's car, and I immediately liked it. Sure, she's arrogant and self-centered and aggressive. But she's also sad. I feel like she's trying to convince herself with the chorus. Besides, the music's pretty catchy.

Pulling Back the Skin by House of Heroes. In this song, the guy is conflicted. He thought he wanted her gone, but then he can't forget her. He broke up with her, but he's jealous when she's with someone else. Crazyhead! Nice music, as usual. Favorite lines: "I would like to see you only if to see you cry. I would like to kiss you only to kiss you goodbye. At best I have bad intentions, at worst I'd rather die than see you with another guy."

Don't Think of Me by Dido. If you feel like some sadness with a dose of crazy, then listen to Dido. I used to wonder why all of her songs were so sad, and then I got her name. Dido! Roman mythology, anyone? Anyway, in this song she's singing about an ex who is now with someone else.

Enamel by Brave Saint Saturn. I had this in my BSS post, but here it is again because it's so good. As I said before, it's a wonderful, snarky, angry break-up song. Apparently Reese's fiance broke off the engagement with no explanation, so I guess the lyrics make sense. Favorite lines: Well I hope you cannot sleep, and I hope you cannot smile, and I hope you're burdened with your guilt for quite awhile. I hope you fall in love and I hope that it is thwarted, and I hope that now you're back it's because you were deported."

No Woman No Cry by Bob Marley. And of course, this classic.

Ugly Day by Five Iron Frenzy. I don't know how I forgot this one, but Subtle Things reminded me of my egregious error. Seriously, it's genius.

Well, I'll leave it at that. You guys have anything to add?

4 comments:

  1. I'm surprised Rhubar--sorry, Ugly Day didn't make it on here. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are totally right! I don't know how I spaced that one. Maybe it's because I already had one Reese song? I also was going to have Bob Marley's No Woman No Cry and forgot.
    Regardless, I'll go add them now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Æthelflæd saved the land ... :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aethelflad and her band....

    P.S. How do you get the cool slanting A?

    ReplyDelete

I like comments just as much as fresh guacamole and chips! Well, maybe not quite that much...