Friday, July 23, 2010

Job Found!

I haven't written for a long time, mainly out of laziness but partially out of business. I have a job now! The last week or so has been a flurry of applications, interviews, call-backs, and hard decisions. I had four job offers, and I could see myself doing any of them happily. That's what made it so hard; I liked them all.

After much agony, I decided on a job as a writing instructor at a after-school center. It's a really small program (only four of us) but the people seem really nice. They said that the main thing that they want is someone who cares about the kids and is willing to push them to learn. This job is exciting but much more uncertain. I worked as a writing tutor in college (and loved it), but I've never worked with younger kids on writing. I don't really know what each grade needs and all of that. Also, it will be a lot more work because I will have to make all of my own lesson plans. At the other jobs, the lesson plans were laid out for me. This will definitely be more challenging, but I think I'll learn so much from it.

The other thing that's a little uncertain is the fact that I won't actually have a contract until September. They are hiring me to do part-time work to cover a guy on vacation during August. If I do a good job, a job will be waiting for me. I asked them how sure the job offer was, and they said that they can assure me a job if I do a good job. I can understand where they're coming from. They are a business, one that only survives if it has happy kids and parents. If they hired someone who wasn't a good teacher, their whole business would be in trouble. I really believe that I could do a good enough job to get hired in September, but there are always doubts.

Now my mom has a hard decision in front of her. She applied for one of the jobs I rejected, a kindergarten teaching job. She doesn't really want to work full-time, but it would help the finances out a lot. Now she's trying to decide whether she should take the job or not if it's offered. I'm sure she would appreciate prayer for this decision.

Well, I am so amazed at God's blessings. Not only did he provide a job that I'm excited about, but he gave me FOUR awesome job offers. It didn't necessarily make his will easy to see, but then again, maybe his will is just that I work at a good job glorifying him with my life. In that case, any of the jobs would be his will. I don't know. All that I do know is that I'm amazed at his goodness.

2 comments:

  1. Awesome Laura! That's good to hear! I'll pray for you and your mom both.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i'm so excited for your, laura! you'll be a great writing instructor. : ) if you have any trouble writing lesson plans, i can always send you the jbu template (just kidding! i promise you don't want it! haha) ;-) but in all seriousness, if there is anything i can help you with don't hesitate to ask!

    ReplyDelete

I like comments just as much as fresh guacamole and chips! Well, maybe not quite that much...